- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Apparent punch at girls basketball game propels lawmaker into action (2/21/17)4
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Speak Out 5/5/09
Gangs in school
CAPE Girardeau is a small town with inner-city problems. I was talking to an elementary teacher who said there have been some gang-related problems. Where are the parents? These group of boys are in the second grade. They should not know anything about gangs.
Paying for trash
THIS is in response to the trash-water rate increase. I think the city needs to have a two-can system again. People with only half a can of trash and who recycle are getting a bad deal. People who have two cans of trash need to pay the price. It all seems fair to me.
COLUMNIST Michael Jensen recently claimed that the coffee shops where he hangs out are of the collective opinion that the rascals ought to be thrown out of office in Washington. With President Obama's approval rating in the stratosphere and Congress' approval rating rising like a shooting star, it can only be concluded that Mr. Jensen hangs out in coffee shops populated by foaming-at-the-mouth far-right extremists.
Higher city rates
I don't appreciate what the city is wanting to do, and I guess the city doesn't care about its residents who can barely afford their water, sewer and trash bill. Some of us pay between $35 and $40 a month now. If it goes to $50, some of us won't be able to pay it. If we get shut off, what are we supposed to do?