- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Melvin L. Brooks, 83, of Jackson passed away Sunday, May 3, 2009, at Jackson Manor.
He was born June 27, 1925, in Jackson, son of Elam and Mary Leggett Brooks. He and Imogene Sevella Schreiner were married Nov. 18, 1944. She passed away Aug. 26, 2008.
Melvin farmed all his life. He farmed in the Oak Ridge area and in the 1960s moved to a farm in Jackson (Fruitland area) where he resided until his health started to fail him, keeping active tending to his cattle and crops.
Loving survivors include a son, Ron (Angela) Brooks of Phoenix; a daughter, Faye (Donald) Hirsch of St. Louis; four grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
He was preceded in death by a half brother, Troy Atchinson, and a half sister, Blanche Reynolds.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. to service time Wednesday at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the funeral home, with Dr. Barry Winders officiating. Interment will follow in Russell Heights Cemetery in Jackson.
Memorials may be made to Southeast Hospice.
Online condolences to the family may be made on McCombs Funeral Home website at www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.