- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)3
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)2
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Police: Cape abduction may have ties to Georgia homicide (6/18/17)5
- 3 drown in Southeast Missouri in three days (6/16/17)
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Fire destroys two greenhouses at Travelers Gazebo site in Cape (6/22/17)
World briefs 1/4/05
Peruvian nationalists seize police station
ANDAHUAYLAS, Peru -- Soldiers moved closer to a police station seized by paramilitary nationalists over the weekend after the Interior Ministry said Monday it was preparing to storm the building. The troops closed in on the station and about 100 rebels holed up inside. The rebel leader, former Maj. Antauro Humala, said he was willing to surrender this morning if the government first agreed to a cease-fire. His group is demanding the resignation of President Alejandro Toledo.
Abbas pledges refugees will return to Israel homes
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip -- Mahmoud Abbas, the leading candidate in next week's presidential election, on Monday promised Palestinian refugees they'll be able to return home one day -- his most explicit comment yet on an explosive issue that has derailed peace talks in the past. Abbas was campaigning for a third straight day in Gaza, appealing to younger, more militant Palestinians.
Spain's premier derides Basque autonomy plan
MADRID, Spain -- Spain's prime minister condemned an initiative by Basque lawmakers to make their region virtually independent, deriding it Monday as secessionist and anomalous in a Europe seeking to become more united. Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said the initiative is doomed to failure when it reaches Parliament for debate.