- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)8
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
Pride of Cape Girardeau
By: Mike Ramsey
Pictured are members of the Cape Girardeau Fire Department. Barney Kraft (center of the picture standing) had been appointed Chief during the re-organization of the Department on May 5, 1909. First Assistant Chief was Charles Hahn and the Second Assistant Chief was Leon Albert.
The dapple gray team of horses was purchased in St. Louis for $400.00 by Aldermen Alex Vasterling and Joe Wilson,hence their names Joe and Alex. They were trained by Leland Albert and were first hitched to the wagon on May 25, 1909. They responded to their first call on June 7, 1909.
The Wagner Special Hose Wagon, Chemical Engine and Hook and Ladder was purchased from Fred Wagner and Son of St. Louis for $1,100, and arrived by boat on December 12, 1908. It had a chemical reservoir, ladders, hooks, rope, 300 feet of hose and all other appropriate and necessary paraphernalia.