- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
Raising money: Two great events
Community Counseling Center and Old Town Cape are holding fundraising parties tonight
Two key organizations in Cape Girardeau are holding fundraising events today, so if you're looking for something fun to do and help a worthwhile group at the same time, check these out:
Not too many years ago, Missouri's wine country was concentrated around Hermann and St. James, Mo., where vintners' roots literally dated back to long before Prohibition. Now wineries have become an important business sector in Southeast Missouri and Southern Illinois.
Thirteen Southeast Missouri wineries will share their finest products at the eighth annual Community Benefit Wine Festival beginning at 6 p.m. today at the Bavarian Halle in Fruitland.
The event is a fundraiser for the Community Counseling Center.
Over the years the wine-tasting event, which also features dance music and an art sale, has grown to the point that it has moved to the Fruitland venue in order to accommodate the crowd.
At 6:30 p.m. today, the 22nd annual Charles L. Hutson Auction will begin at Buckner Brewing Co. in downtown Cape Girardeau. This event, jointly sponsored by the Downtown Merchants Association, is a fundraiser for Old Town Cape, which coordinates activities that boost economic development and improvements in the historic downtown area.
The theme of this year's auction party is Cinco de Mayo -- a few days early. The late Charles L. Hutson of Hutson Furniture, a retail anchor on Main Street, was one of downtown's biggest boosters who started or supported several initiative to keep the area a vital business district.
Here are two great events that could use your support. And you'll have a good time, too.