- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)5
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
Raising money: Two great events
Community Counseling Center and Old Town Cape are holding fundraising parties tonight
Two key organizations in Cape Girardeau are holding fundraising events today, so if you're looking for something fun to do and help a worthwhile group at the same time, check these out:
Not too many years ago, Missouri's wine country was concentrated around Hermann and St. James, Mo., where vintners' roots literally dated back to long before Prohibition. Now wineries have become an important business sector in Southeast Missouri and Southern Illinois.
Thirteen Southeast Missouri wineries will share their finest products at the eighth annual Community Benefit Wine Festival beginning at 6 p.m. today at the Bavarian Halle in Fruitland.
The event is a fundraiser for the Community Counseling Center.
Over the years the wine-tasting event, which also features dance music and an art sale, has grown to the point that it has moved to the Fruitland venue in order to accommodate the crowd.
At 6:30 p.m. today, the 22nd annual Charles L. Hutson Auction will begin at Buckner Brewing Co. in downtown Cape Girardeau. This event, jointly sponsored by the Downtown Merchants Association, is a fundraiser for Old Town Cape, which coordinates activities that boost economic development and improvements in the historic downtown area.
The theme of this year's auction party is Cinco de Mayo -- a few days early. The late Charles L. Hutson of Hutson Furniture, a retail anchor on Main Street, was one of downtown's biggest boosters who started or supported several initiative to keep the area a vital business district.
Here are two great events that could use your support. And you'll have a good time, too.