Stove fire sends Cape Girardeau man to hospital

Friday, April 17, 2009

An early morning stove fire in a Cape Girardeau apartment sent one man to a local hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation. The Cape Girardeau Fire Department responded at 2:44 a.m. Thursday to 1826 Dunklin St., Apt. 4, where they discovered light to moderate smoke coming from the front of the structure.

Battalion chief Brad Dillow said the occupant had fallen asleep while cooking on his stove but had vacated the building when firefighters arrived. Crews contained the fire within one foot of its origin, with light damage to the kitchen counter top. Total damage is estimated at $3,000.

Dillow said the apartment did not have working smoke detectors.

Pertinent address:

1826 Dunklin Street, Cape Girardeau, MO

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: