- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
High school roundup: Tigers' bats cool after hot start
The Central baseball team went 2-3 at the DeSoto County Invitational in Southaven, Miss., this weekend.
The Tigers opened the tournament with a pair of wins Thursday, but suffered two losses Friday and one Saturday.
Jared Green took the loss in Saturday's game, a 9-2 setback to Southaven, Miss.
Ryan Grigaitis and Jamie Pickel both went 2-for-4 with a double in the loss.
Josh Meyer took the loss in Friday's loss to DeSoto County Central, a 7-6 decision.
Green went 2-for-3 with a triple and two RBIs, while Shawn Prince went 2-for-3 while driving in two.
In Friday's other loss, an 8-5 final against Grenada, Miss., Andrew Williams took the loss. He allowed six earned runs over five innings. He tried to help himself at the plate, going 2-for-3 with three RBIs.
Pickel picked up the win in Thursday's opener, a 10-0 win against Hernando, Miss. He struck out five and allowed four hits in the complete-game shutout.
Josh Compas collected three hits and drove in four in the win.
Zach Wilson earned the win in Thursday's other victory, an 8-1 decision against Horn Lake, Miss. He went the distance on the mound, striking out seven and allowing six hits.
Green went 3-for-4 with four RBIs, Williams was 2-for-4 and Grigaitis 3-for-4 with two RBIs.
Delta finished 2-1 on the day to take second place at the tournament played at Saxony Lutheran High School.
The Bobcats knocked off Senath-Hornersville 6-3 as Kendra Burnett struck out 11 in the opener.
Nikki Rozmirsky homered in the win.
Delta suffered a 9-4 loss to Anna-Jonesboro, Ill., in the second game. Burnett only allowed four earned runs.
Taylor Smith knocked in a run in the loss.
The Bobcats rebounded with a 7-1 win over Dexter in the second-place game.
Rozmirsky went 2-for-2 with two RBIs, while Courtney Burton went 2-for-3.
The Bobcats improved to 5-1 and return to action Monday when they host Woodland.
Delta 6, Senath-Hornersville 3
WP -- Kendra Burnett. LP -- M. Harris. HR -- Nikki Rozmirsky (D). 2B -- Ashley Glaus (D), Jodi Menz (D). Multiple hits -- Delta: Menz 2-4.
Anna-Jonesboro 9, Delta 4
WP -- R. Hayden. LP -- Kendra Burnett. 2B -- Courtney Burton (D), Nikki Rozmirsky (D).
Delta 7, Dexter 1
WP -- Kendra Burnett. LP -- Duley. 2B -- Burnett (D), Courtney Burton (D), Ashley Glaus (D). Multiple hits -- Delta: Nikki Rozmirsky 2-2, Burton 2-3. Records -- Delta 5-1.
-- From staff reports