Area calendar 4/12
Sunday, April 12, 2009
* Cardinals trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to St. Louis for the Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs game April 25 at 3:10 p.m. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 11:15 a.m. and should return by 8 p.m. Cost: $27 per ticket plus $18 for those who wish to ride the bus. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 339-6340.
* Cape Legion tryout: The Cape Girardeau Ford & Sons American Legion senior baseball team will hold a tryout April 26 at Capaha Field. It will run from 1 to 4 p.m. The team is for players ages 16 to 19. Info: Todd Pennington, 618-306-2265.
* Babe Ruth tryout: The Jackson Senior Babe Ruth baseball team will hold a tryout April 19 at Saxony Lutheran High School. It will run from 1 to 2:30 p.m. The team is for players ages 16 to 18 and will play between 30 and 35 games. In case of rain, the tryout will be April 26. Info: Paul Sander, 243-7921 or Stan Minson, 243-5929.
* Pitch, hit and run competition: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the Major League Baseball Pitch, Hit and Run competition May 9 at Arena Park on baseball field No. 6. The free event will include a girls softball division as well as a boys baseball division. Registration will begin at 9 a.m., and the competition will begin at 9:30 a.m. Info: Heather Davis, 339-6731.
* Summer boys league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor its annual junior high and high school summer boys basketball league for students entering grades 7 through 12. League play is scheduled to begin June 2 at the Osage Community Centre and A.C. Brase Arena. Games will be played Tuesday evenings. Registration fee is $225 per team. Teams will play doubleheaders and have a minimum of eight games. Registration deadline is May 15. Info: Heather Davis, 339-6731.
* Summer girls league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a league for girls in grades 7 through 12. It is scheduled to begin June 18 with games played at the Osage Community Centre and A.C. Brase Arena on Thursday evenings. Deadline: May 8. Cost: $200 per team. Info: Amy Roth, 339-6342.
* PGA tournament trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to Memphis, Tenn., for the final day, June 14, of the Stanford St. Jude Championship at the TPC Southwind. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 6 a.m. Cost: $60, which includes a one-day admission to the tournament and transportation to and from the course on a charter bus. Info: 339-6340.
* Southeast Booster Club tournament: The annual Southeast Missouri State Booster Club golf tournament will take place May 11 at Cape Girardeau Country Club. The six-person scramble is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m., with lunch served at 11:30 a.m. Players who don't have a team lined up can be assigned to one. Cost: $95 per person. Deadline: May 6. Info: 651-2005.
* Lutheran Family scramble: The Lutheran Family and Children's Services will host the Hope for Families Golf Tournament on May 11 at Dalhousie Golf Club. The tournament is a four-person scramble and will have morning (8 a.m.) and afternoon (1:30 p.m.) tee times. Cost: $110 morning, $135 afternoon. Includes greens fees, cart, lunch, mulligan, goodie bag, golf towel, beverages and prizes. Info: 334-5866.
* Shrine Club tournament: The Cape Shrine Club's 14th annual golf tournament will take place May 15 at Bent Creek Golf Club. The four-person scramble is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m., with lunch served from noon to 12:45 p.m. Cost: $80 per person. Deadline: May 8. Info: Eddie Schreiner, 243-5503.
* Central booster club tournament: The Cape Girardeau Central booster club will hold a golf tournament May 8 at Dalhousie Golf Club. There will be 7:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. tee times available. Info: Chris Sheets, 270-8458 or Steve Green, 450-1095.
* United Way tournament: The United Way of Southeast Missouri will hold its 22nd annual golf tournament June 12 at the Cape Girardeau Country Club. The four-person scramble will get under way at noon. Cost: $100, which includes greens fees, cart, lunch and prizes. Info: Holly Lintner, 334-9634.
* Capahas auction: The annual Plaza Tire Capahas auction will be Saturday at the American Legion Hall on Thomas Drive in Cape Girardeau. Doors open at 8:30 a.m., with the auction beginning at 9 a.m. A wide variety of items will be auctioned off, with proceeds benefiting the Capahas, among the nation's oldest amateur baseball teams. Info: 335-6644.
* KFVS Run/Walk: The 5KFVS run/walk will be May 16 in downtown Cape Girardeau. The race will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the KFVS Hirsch Tower at 310 Broadway. Cost: $20. Deadline: May 8. There will be no race-day registration. Info: kfvs12.com.
* Gators sign-ups: The Gators swimming team will hold sign-ups at the Central Municipal Pool on Saturday and May 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Info: 986-8155.
* Barracudas registration: The Jackson Barracudas swimming team will hold registration April 25, April 26 and May 9 at Healthpoint Fitness in Jackson from noon to 3 p.m. Info: Mandi Gard, 243-0780.
* Steamboat Classic: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the 25th annual Steamboat Classic triathlon April 26 at the Central Municipal Pool. The event consists of a 450-meter swim, 15.5-mile bike ride and 5-mile run. Participants may compete as individuals or on a relay team. Cost: For individuals -- $50 through April 23 and $55 on the day of the race; for relays -- $55 through April 23, $60 on the day of the race. Info: Patrick Watson, 335-4040 or Jared Tanz, 334-2031.
* Summer league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a volleyball league for girls in grades 7 through 12. It will begin June 3 and conclude July 22, with games played at the Osage Community Centre and the A.C. Brase Arena on Wednesday evenings. Deadline: May 1. Cost: $125 per team. Info: Amy Roth, 339-6342.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.