- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
U.S. is losing its independence
When we take from the rich and give to the poor, the rich become poorer. Therefore, there will be less and less to divide, making the poor even poorer in the long run. This gives those in charge total control over the people.
In a republic, the people are supposed to be in control. In a free-enterprise, capitalistic society, everyone -- even the poor -- has the opportunity through education risk and hard work to increase wealth.
In socialism, the workers learn, "Why should I knock myself out when they take away everything I gain? I'm no better off than those who don't work."
So motivation and incentive are destroyed, and living standards drop for everyone but those in charge.
Hillary Clinton said, "We need a new form of government that is not run by the few." But that is what is actually happening.
Treaties are ready to put us totally under the control of the U.N. All they need is one or two more globalist votes.
Every day our Constitution is destroyed a bit more. More freedoms are lost.
Discussions have been held -- with Canada and Mexico -- to become part of the North American Union, which would be a part of world government. Are we ready to give up our voice? Our freedoms? If not, we must unite now. It is later than we think.
L. LEE SNIDER, Cape Girardeau