- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)34
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)8
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
Cartoon unfair to NRA stand
Your April 5 editorial cartoon depicts to me that the NRA is a party to the export of guns from the U.S. to Mexico.
This is offensive to me. As a longtime member of the NRA, I know what the NRA stands for and works for.
The NRA supports securing of our borders.
The NRA supports elimination of drugs from all sources, both foreign and domestic.
The NRA supports the U.S. Constitution as the supreme law of our land as it was written and not subject to change except as provided for.
The NRA supports the right of self-defense and the right of individuals of good character to have the right to own guns as provided for in the Second Amendment.
We do not believe that guns should only be had by the military, as this would leave most of us defenseless from any source.
Your cartoon acts as both judge and jury, and without any hearing or opportunity to defend itself you cast the NRA as a criminal organization.
I resent the use of your public franchise in such a careless and reckless way.
If you think the NRA is guilty of some crime, then let the proper courts deal with that matter.
As a veteran of the U.S. armed forces, I fought for the Constitution and for the Bill of Rights thereto attached. I still defend our liberties and defend your right of a free press.
However, the accusation as portrayed in your cartoon cannot go unanswered.
DAVID KELLY, Steele, Mo.