- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
One dead after Saturday morning shooting in Sikeston
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Police hadn't released the suspected shooter's name or charges filed in a fatal Saturday morning shooting in Sikeston as of 7:15 p.m. Saturday night. The shooting left a 28-year-old woman dead, and is believed to be the result of a domestic scuffle.
According to a Sikeston Department of Public Safety news release sent to media late Saturday morning, Sikeston police were called to 902B Montgomery St. around 1 a.m. on a report of a gunshot fired. Police found a 29-year-old man on a couch sitting next to a woman who was slumped over, with blood on her shirt, according to the news release.
A handgun was on the floor in the same room where the man and woman were sitting. The woman, identified as 28-year-old Nikia Latrice Williams of Sikeston, wasn't breathing, and had a single gunshot to the upper chest. She was later pronounced dead by New Madrid County Deputy Coroner Ralph Barnwell at Missouri Delta Medical Center.
Charges hadn't yet been filed against the male suspect, who was arrested, but police believe the incident was a domestic disturbance, the news release said.
New Madrid County Prosecutor Louie Recker is reviewing the case, and Sikeston police will withhold the suspect's name until charges are filed, likely later today.
902 Montgomery St., Sikeston, MO