- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)8
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Speak Out 12/24/04
Proud of service
I WORK at a retail store in the mall, and we have excellent customer service. Employees are held to a high standard by our bosses. I will agree, however, that many stores aren't the same. I never really noticed until I started working in a store just how many times you can walk in and out of a store without being acknowledged. Or if you are, you are treated as an inconvenience. I think other stores need to take pride in their merchandise and hire personable employees. Customers, give us a bit of a break during the holidays. We are almost running back and forth through the store when we're busy. And some of us truly are trying to help each and every one of you.
Adopt a soldier
AT THIS time of year its so important to remember our deployed military. If you would like to adopt a soldier or if you have family overseas, you can submit a soldier by going to www.soldiersangels.org. I became involved with this group last February, and it has been a true blessing!. I have seen some soldiers come home and have adopted more to take their place.
HERE'S A suggestion for a gift for your elderly parents, grandparents, friends or other relatives. Think of prepaying their utility, phone or gas bill for a month or all the kids get together and pay it for a month per child or grandchild. People on fixed incomes will think about your generosity every day that month or more.
Behind the counter
TO THE person who complains about receiving poor service at retail establishments: You are one person who enters a store and is looking for help from a person who has been helping many people, perhaps all day. While there really is no excuse for poor service, people do forget that the person on the other side of the counter is a human being too. I am a college-educated customer-driven person who has been in retail for more years than I care to count, but I have had people talk down to me or throw their money at me and act like I was a second-class citizen or throw a fit over something that I have no control over in the first place. That gets a little old as the day goes on. But there are a lot of customers out there who are a joy to serve and visit with. They become friends over time. That's why I stay in this crazy retail world. Granted, there are some people who are not cut out for retail. If you receive poor service, alert the manager or call one of the store's customer-service hotlines.