- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Sikeston man gets 30 years for rape of 80-year-old woman in November
A Sikeston, Mo., man was sentenced to state prison for 30 years Monday for the Nov. 30 rape of an 80-year-old Cape Girardeau woman in her home.
Mitchell T. West, 18, was arrested in December after breaking into the woman's home for the second time when she was away. He pleaded guilty to forcible rape, burglary, felony stealing and attempted forcible sodomy.
Circuit Judge William Syler imposed the 30-year sentence for rape, along with concurrent sentences of 30 years for the attempted sodomy, 15 years for the burglary and seven years for stealing.
A DNA profile showed that there was virtually no chance anyone but West committed the rape.
Under Missouri law, West will serve at least 25 1/2 years of his sentence.