- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Students learn about business
The only thing I knew about Junior Achievement was that it worked with students and taught them about business. Wow, was I wrong!
Did you know that our JA branch, which was established in 1943, is supported by 5,000 volunteers who have served more than 119,000 children in Missouri and Illinois and we locally have 100 volunteers who serve 5,400 students? The programs are generously supported by local businesses and private donations.
Due to this generosity, I have just finished my final JA class, and it was a blast. The children in Mrs. Kerr's second-grade class at Franklin Elementary School were precious. Their attentive little minds were so curious about how our community and businesses work that I anxiously looked forward to our time together each week. As the class came to a close each child came up to tell me goodbye. Their hugs and smiles made my small time investment well worth it.
I was able to share my journey as a businesswoman and to help my JA class understand that their futures were limitless. It was stressed that every job they do throughout their life will be a self-portrait, and they must autograph their work with excellence.
A good lesson for us all.
JANE PERRY, Re/Max Divine Homes, Cape Girardeau