- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)7
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Cigarette butt, DNA help police crack case on 2013 Cape copper heist (7/17/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Former Navy SEALs endorse Peter Kinder for governor (7/17/16)10
High school artists show winning and creative styles
Along with the many other examples of academic excellence among elementary, high school and college students in Southeast Missouri, now comes the 31st annual High School Art Exhibition that showcases the art of students and their teachers.
Through April 22, the featured art is on display at the Crisp Museum at Southeast Missouri State University's River Campus -- an excellent showcase for the efforts of the students and their teachers.
The High School Art Exhibition, sponsored by the university, was organized by former art professor Edwin Smith, who coordinated the annual event for 29 years.
Two years ago sculpture professor Chris Wubbena took over the coordinating duties of the exhibition.
Some 30 high schools participate in the exhibition.
This year there were 263 entries in the juried event, and 143 pieces in seven divisions -- ceramics, drawing, fibers, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture -- were accepted.
The juror was an art professor from Webster University in Webster Groves, Mo.
Awards were given in each of the categories for first, second, third and honorable mention.
In addition, a Merit Award and a Best in Show Award are given. These awards include university scholarships.
Congratulations to the students who have demonstrated an interest in art and produced some wonderful examples of their creativity.
And hats off to the art teachers who provide guidance through their dedication and example.