- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Rams win pitching duel in tourney
Shae Simmons had a dominating display on the mound Friday as the Scott City baseball team nipped Sullivan 1-0 in the Festus tournament.
Simmons, a senior who has signed to play at Southeast Missouri State, fired a one-hitter and struck out 18 in going the seven-inning distance.
Josh Henson went 2-for-3 with a double and drove in the game's only run, in the fifth inning, as the Rams improved to 2-2 with their second straight win.
The Rams play Festus today in pool play. The winner will advance to the championship later in the day.
WP -- Shae Simmons, 2-1. LP -- Durham. 2B -- Josh Henson (SC). Multiple hits -- Scott City, Henson 2-3. Records -- Scott City 2-2.
Notre Dame 10,Fredericktown 0, 5 inn.
Notre Dame remained undefeated with a five-inning, run-rule victory at home.
Dylan Drury struck out nine and allowed two hits in the complete-game win.
The Bulldogs (3-0) had just six hits, but took advantage of eight Fredericktown errors. Wes Glaus and Ryan Bass both went 2-for-3.
WP -- Dylan Drury, 2-0. LP -- Allgier. HR -- Jeremy Essner (ND). 2B -- Wes Glaus (ND). Multiple hits -- Notre Dame, Glaus 2-3, Ryan Bass 2-3. Records -- Notre Dame 3-0.
Advance 7, Oak Ridge 1
Grant Gray fired a two-hitter, with six strikeouts, to lead visiting Advance.
Cory Cooper went 3-for-4 for the Hornets (2-4).
WP -- Grant Gray, 1-1. LP -- Garret Light. 2B -- Gray (A), Jacob Bond (A). Multiple hits -- Advance: Cory Cooper 3-4. Records -- Advance 2-4.
Leopold 10,Scott County Central 4
Ryan Davis and Darren VanGennip combined on a four-hitter as Leopold won at home.
Davis got the victory as he worked the first four innings. VanGennip followed with three shutout innings for the Wildcats (2-2).
Scott County, playing its season opener, got two hits from Ben Freed. He also suffered the loss.
WP -- Ryan Davis, 2-0. LP -- Ben Freed, 0-1. 2B -- Freed (SC), Wade Wiseman (L). Multiple hits -- Scott County, Freed 2-4. Records -- Scott County 0-1, Leopold 2-2.
Clearwater 12, Woodland 2, 5 inn.
Woodland and Clearwater were tied 1-1 heading into the bottom of the fifth. That was when host Clearwater exploded for 10 runs to put the run rule into effect.
Neil Johnson suffered the loss. He went four innings, striking out five and walking six.
Woodland dropped to 0-2, while Clearwater improved to 4-0.
WP -- Morris. LP -- Neil Johnson, 0-1. 2B -- D'Amico (C). Multiple hits -- Clearwater: Randolph 2-3. Records -- Woodland 0-2, Clearwater 4-0.
SOFTBALLDelta 5, Greenville 1
Delta stayed perfect with a road victory.
Kendra Burnett struck out eight in four shutout innings for the Bobcats (3-0). Burnett, who allowed two hits, has all of Delta's wins.
Katie Brucker went 2-for-2 to lead Delta's offense.
WP -- Kendra Burnett, 3-0. LP -- Phillips. Multiple hits -- Delta, Katie Brucker 2-2. Greenville, Duncan 2-4. Records -- Delta 3-0.
Advance 16,Oak Ridge 9
Advance pounded out a win over host Oak Ridge.
Aftan Cato led the Hornets with three hits. Hannah Barr had two and got the victory.
Shelby Proctor and Rae Haven had two hits each for Oak Ridge.
WP -- Barr. LP -- Shelby Proctor. 2B -- Hannah Barr (A). Multiple hits -- Advance, Aftan Cato 3-6, Barr 2-4. Oak Ridge, Proctor 2-5, Rae Haven 2-4.
SOCCERNotre Dame 6,Whitfield 0
Courtney Luehmann scored two goals and recorded one assist to lead undefeated Notre Dame past host Whitfield.
Brianne Sanders also netted two goals for the Bulldogs (5-0). Molly Proffer and Ashten Hesselrode each scored one goal and Allyson Bradshaw recorded two assists. Taylor Sanders, Kelsey Westrich and Meghan Dohogne each added an assist.
Goalkeeper Katherine Blasiney got the shutout.
GOLFSaxony Lutheran Quad
New Madrid County Central won the four-team meet at Dalhousie Golf Club, edging Notre Dame 166 to 167.
Host Saxony Lutheran followed with a 191 and Advance had 235.
Notre Dame's Brett Slaten was the individual medalist with a 37. NMCC's Justin Fields followed with a 39.
Notre Dame -- Brett Slaten 37; Joe Wiggans, 42; Jesse Schott, 44; Jon Clements, 44.
Saxony -- Nick Murphy, 42; Zack Vieth, 49; Luke Mueller 49; Garrett Brewer 51.
TENNISVianney 7, Central 2
Nick Hines won at No. 4 singles, while Chris Nichols and Prithvi Rudrappi prevailed at No. 3 doubles during a home loss for Central (0-3).
1, Dalton (V) def. Andrew Schupert, 10-8
2. Richter (V) def. Dylan Thomas, 10-6
3. Gray (V) def. Caleb Yeargain, 10-3
4. Nick Hines (C) def. Taylor, 10-6
5. Schallom (V) def. Chris Nichols, 10-8
6. Hess (V) def. Prithvi Rudrappi, 10-3
1. Dalton-Richter (V) def. Schupert-Thomas 6-4, 2-6, 11-9 (super-tiebreaker)
2. Gray-Taylor (V) def. Yeargain-Hines, 5-7, 6-2, 10-3 (super-tiebreaker)
3. Nichols-Rudrappi (C) def. Schallom-Smith 4-6, 6-2, 10-7 (super-tiebreaker)
-- From staff reports