- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
* Cardinals trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to St. Louis for the Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs game April 25 at 3:10 p.m. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 11:15 a.m. and should return by 8 p.m. Cost: $27 per ticket plus $18 for those who wish to ride the bus. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 339-6340.
* Summer boys league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor its annual junior high and high school summer boys basketball league for students entering grades 7 through 12. League play is scheduled to begin June 2 at the Osage Community Centre and A.C. Brase Arena. Games will be played Tuesday evenings. Registration fee is $225 per team. Teams will play doubleheaders and have a minimum of eight games. Registration deadline is May 15. Info: Heather Davis, 339-6731.
* Summer girls league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a league for girls in grades 7 through 12. It is scheduled to begin June 18 with games played at the Osage Community Centre and A.C. Brase Arena on Thursday evenings. Deadline: May 8. Cost: $200 per team. Info: Amy Roth, 339-6342.
* JAYF training: Jackson Area Youth Football will hold sign-ups for spring training Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. It is for students in grades 3 through 6. It will be Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Cost: $25, which includes all equipment and JAYF patch, but players need their own mouthpiece and shoes. Info: Eric Friedrich, 243-2565 or Ron Hobeck, 243-1311.
* PGA tournament trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to Memphis, Tenn., for the final day, June 14, of the Stanford St. Jude Championship at the TPC Southwind. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 6 a.m. Cost: $60, which includes a one-day admission to the tournament and transportation to and from the course on a charter bus. Info: 339-6340.
* Shrine Club tournament: The Cape Shrine Club's 14th annual golf tournament will take place May 15 at Bent Creek Golf Club. The four-person scramble is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m., with lunch served from noon to 12:45 p.m. Cost: $80 per person. Deadline: May 8. Info: Eddie Schreiner, 243-5503.
* Capahas auction: The annual Plaza Tire Capahas auction will be April 18 at the American Legion Hall on Thomas Drive in Cape Girardeau. Doors open at 8:30 a.m., with the auction beginning at 9 a.m. A wide variety of items will be auctioned off, with proceeds benefiting the Capahas, among the nation's oldest amateur baseball teams. Info: 335-6644.
* Parks and Recreation leagues: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will hold a managers meeting for girls fast-pitch at 6:30 p.m. April 9. The deadline for the girls fast-pitch league is April 24. Info: 334-2523 or 335-5421.
* Youth camp: The Kelly Hawks and Heartland Travelers U-16 softball teams will host a camp for players in grades 3 through 8. A pitchers and catchers camp will be Saturday at the Kelly High School field, and run from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Cost: $35. Info or to register: 318-5383, 887-1650 or 545-3420.
* Gators sign-ups: The Gators swimming team will hold sign-ups at the Central Municipal Pool April 18 and May 9 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Info: 986-8155.
Track and field
* Special Olympics meet: The Southeast Area Special Olympics track and field meet will take place Saturday at the Southeast Missouri State student recreation center. Opening ceremonies will begin at 10 a.m., and the events begin at 10:30 a.m. Info: Penny Williams, 334-2859.
* Steamboat Classic: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the 25th annual Steamboat Classic triathlon April 26 at the Central Municipal Pool. The event consists of a 450-meter swim, 15.5-mile bike ride and 5-mile run. Participants may compete as individuals or on a relay team. Cost: For individuals -- $40 through April 10, $50 through April 23 and $55 on the day of the race; for relays -- $45 through April 10, $55 through April 23, $60 on the day of the race. Info: Patrick Watson, 335-4040 or Jared Tanz, 334-2031.
* Summer league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a volleyball league for girls in grades 7 through 12. It will begin June 3 and conclude July 22, with games played at the Osage Community Centre and the A.C. Brase Arena on Wednesday evenings. Deadline: May 1. Cost: $125 per team. Info: Amy Roth, 339-6342.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.