- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
HONKY-TONK LEGENDS OF SCOTT CITY
honk⋅y-tonk [hong-kee-tongk,] –noun
1. a cheap, noisy, and garish nightclub or dance hall.
n. 1. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical...A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.
Chaz Watkins and I have never appeared on the same stage although we started our honky-tonk careers years ago in Scott City. I have to admit that I preceded him by about a decade but we've trudged through the same trenches. It's my belief that I'm a honky-tonk legend (at least in my own mind) because I survived and Chaz is because he continually packed venues throughout the 1980's. We both eventually sought greener pastures by extensive touring and both ended up on the streets of Music Row in Nashville before eventually ending up back in southeast Missouri.
On Friday, March 27th we'll take the stage together at Schocks Performance Hall in historic Old Illmo. For this special event we will employ an all-star line-up that features Scott "Jellyroll" Blackwell on keyboards, Roger Palmer on guitar, and introduces sixteen year old guitar phenom Nicky V.
Jesse Hammock founder of Shady Deal is a honky-tonk hero in his own right and will open the show.
Showtime is 9:30ish and admission is $5.