- 3 charged with burglarizing Scott City bar (10/14/16)4
- West Park Mall to be closed Thanksgiving (10/14/16)2
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Cape Girardeau County: A great place to grab a bite (10/14/16)1
- Man charged after cops try to cuff him in his sleep (10/14/16)9
- Three weeks and then what? (10/18/16)1
- Suspected attacker of Southeast student apprehended (10/19/16)5
- Mom jailed with daughter after mailing drug to her (10/16/16)
HONKY-TONK LEGENDS OF SCOTT CITY
honk⋅y-tonk [hong-kee-tongk,] –noun
1. a cheap, noisy, and garish nightclub or dance hall.
n. 1. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical...A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.
Chaz Watkins and I have never appeared on the same stage although we started our honky-tonk careers years ago in Scott City. I have to admit that I preceded him by about a decade but we've trudged through the same trenches. It's my belief that I'm a honky-tonk legend (at least in my own mind) because I survived and Chaz is because he continually packed venues throughout the 1980's. We both eventually sought greener pastures by extensive touring and both ended up on the streets of Music Row in Nashville before eventually ending up back in southeast Missouri.
On Friday, March 27th we'll take the stage together at Schocks Performance Hall in historic Old Illmo. For this special event we will employ an all-star line-up that features Scott "Jellyroll" Blackwell on keyboards, Roger Palmer on guitar, and introduces sixteen year old guitar phenom Nicky V.
Jesse Hammock founder of Shady Deal is a honky-tonk hero in his own right and will open the show.
Showtime is 9:30ish and admission is $5.