- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
HONKY-TONK LEGENDS OF SCOTT CITY
honk⋅y-tonk [hong-kee-tongk,] –noun
1. a cheap, noisy, and garish nightclub or dance hall.
n. 1. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical...A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.
Chaz Watkins and I have never appeared on the same stage although we started our honky-tonk careers years ago in Scott City. I have to admit that I preceded him by about a decade but we've trudged through the same trenches. It's my belief that I'm a honky-tonk legend (at least in my own mind) because I survived and Chaz is because he continually packed venues throughout the 1980's. We both eventually sought greener pastures by extensive touring and both ended up on the streets of Music Row in Nashville before eventually ending up back in southeast Missouri.
On Friday, March 27th we'll take the stage together at Schocks Performance Hall in historic Old Illmo. For this special event we will employ an all-star line-up that features Scott "Jellyroll" Blackwell on keyboards, Roger Palmer on guitar, and introduces sixteen year old guitar phenom Nicky V.
Jesse Hammock founder of Shady Deal is a honky-tonk hero in his own right and will open the show.
Showtime is 9:30ish and admission is $5.