- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)3
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)4
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
HONKY-TONK LEGENDS OF SCOTT CITY
honk⋅y-tonk [hong-kee-tongk,] –noun
1. a cheap, noisy, and garish nightclub or dance hall.
n. 1. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical...A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.
Chaz Watkins and I have never appeared on the same stage although we started our honky-tonk careers years ago in Scott City. I have to admit that I preceded him by about a decade but we've trudged through the same trenches. It's my belief that I'm a honky-tonk legend (at least in my own mind) because I survived and Chaz is because he continually packed venues throughout the 1980's. We both eventually sought greener pastures by extensive touring and both ended up on the streets of Music Row in Nashville before eventually ending up back in southeast Missouri.
On Friday, March 27th we'll take the stage together at Schocks Performance Hall in historic Old Illmo. For this special event we will employ an all-star line-up that features Scott "Jellyroll" Blackwell on keyboards, Roger Palmer on guitar, and introduces sixteen year old guitar phenom Nicky V.
Jesse Hammock founder of Shady Deal is a honky-tonk hero in his own right and will open the show.
Showtime is 9:30ish and admission is $5.