- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Jean Chapman: Healer and artist
Renaissance man: 1. highly cultivated, skilled and well-versed in many fields of knowledge, as in the arts and sciences; 2. Dr. Jean Chapman.
Jean Chapman of Cape Girardeau died this week, and we remember his well-lived life and his broad range of interests. Not only was he a medical professional who excelled in his field, taught medical students and helped set standards in the field of allergy, asthma and immunology, he also distinguished himself both as an artist and as a patron of the arts. He had served as president of the Arts Council of Southeast Missourian and received the council's prestigious Otto F. Dingeldein Award for his many contributions to the advancement and support of the arts.
We join the community in expressing condolences to his family and our thanks for a life of compassion and beauty.