- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)27
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
- Cape woman hopes son's death in Chattanooga will lead to better policing (11/30/16)11
Dire predictions have come true
I have to admit it. My Democratic friends were right. They told me if I voted for John McCain the nation's hope would deteriorate. And, sure enough, there has been a 30-point drop in the Consumer Confidence Index since the election, reaching a lower point than any time during the Bush administration.
They told me if I voted for McCain the country would become more embroiled in the Middle East. And, sure enough, tens of thousands of additional troops are scheduled to be deployed into Afghanistan.
They told me if I voted for McCain the economy would get worse. And, sure enough, unemployment is approaching 10.2 percent, and the new stimulus packages implemented recently have sent the stock market lower than at any time since 9/11.
They told me if I voted for McCain the deficit would increase to the highest level this country has ever seen. They were right. The projected deficit is $9.3 trillion dollars and growing.
They told me if I voted for McCain we would see more crooks in high-ranking positions in federal government. And, sure enough, several recent Cabinet nominees and other appointments revealed resumes of bribery and tax fraud.
Well, I ignored my Democratic friends in November and voted for McCain. And they were right. All of their predictions have come true.
ROGER RILEY, Jackson