- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Community digest 12/16/04
Chaffee children need sponsors for Christmas
Helping Hands is a Chaffee, Mo., Chamber of Commerce program that helps needy children in the community have an enjoyable Christmas. In its 11th year, the program's goal for 2004 is to help 100 local children. The Chaffee Chamber of Commerce has compiled a list of area children that would benefit from the program and the organization is soliciting sponsorships of $25 per child. Volunteers are also needed to escort children on a shopping spree. Donations may be made at Medicap Pharmacy in Chaffee, the Chaffee Chamber of Commerce and Montgomery Bank in Chaffee. The shopping spree begins at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Chaffee VFW. For more information, call Kevin Teegarden at (573) 887-3622.
Santa makes visit to American Legion
Santa Claus will be at the American Legion Hall in Jackson from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Bags of candy, fruit and nuts will be distributed to visiting children. Parents are encouraged to bring cameras to take a picture of children with Santa. For more information, call Bill Poe at 243-5093.
Band, restaurant donate to food pantries
The Water Street Blues Band and Port Cape teamed up for a raffle to raise money to buy 100 cases of canned food for donation to the Salvation Army and Red Star Baptist Food Pantry. The group raised $475 from a jacket and gift certificate raffle. Organizers were musician Les Lindy and restaurant manager Dale Pruett. The 100 cases of food were split between the two organizations.
Church youths wrapping for missions at Cape mall
Youths from West Side Church of God in Cape Girardeau are offering gift-wrapping for the holidays at Westfield Shoppingtown West Park. Times vary, beginning around noon most days. The youths accept donations for their work, and the money will benefit mission trips and service projects at the church. The youths will be working through Dec. 24.