- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Little time left for donations
Only one day remains before Santa delivers his holiday gifts to needy children in Cape Girardeau. But if Toybox doesn't get more donations, there won't be enough gifts for everyone.
Toybox is a joint program of the Southeast Missourian and Cape Girardeau Jaycees that provides gifts to needy children up to age 12. More than 500 families, which amounts to nearly 1,000 children or more, apply for help each year. Without the donations, Alyssa, 8, might not get an Easy Bake Oven or a new Barbie doll. Her infant sister won't have any toys to play with, and neither will her two brothers, ages 5 and 10. Toys and games of all kinds are needed to fill the remaining requests. Donations can be dropped off at the newspaper offices.
Christmas for the Elderly
Mr. and Mrs. W live together in senior apartments now but were recently discharged from a nursing home. Mrs. W has heart problems and high blood pressure. Mr. W has a liver condition and high blood pressure as well as arthritis. Each has a single request for the holidays. Mr. W wants a heavy coat in size extra large. Mrs. W would like house shoes with a rubber sole in size 8.
Miss X lives alone and has several health conditions that require special care. She uses a walker to move about because of severe arthritis. She would like new perfume for Christmas, as well as a bra in size 38B, clothes in sizes 14 to 16 and socks in size 9 to 10.
Donations can be dropped off at the Southeast Missourian offices. Tax-deductible monetary donations can be mailed to P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo. 63702-0004.