- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Chantelle Becking strives to make a difference through her family and community (11/10/17)
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Jackson elementary students try to help others with 'kindness boxes' (11/6/17)1
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Search reveals body in lake near Poplar Bluff; foul play suspected (11/12/17)
Toybox needs help -- now
The Toybox program, which provides toys to needy children in Cape Girardeau, is about ready to deliver bundles of holiday joy next week. The children of more than 200 families will be cheered as Santa makes a special visit to brighten the season.
But the children of nearly 300 families won't get any toys for Christmas unless donations to Toybox come pouring in right away.
Toybox, which is a program sponsored by the Cape Girardeau Jaycees and the Southeast Missourian, spends about $25,000 each year on toys in addition to the hundreds of toys generously donated to the program.
But this year only $4,000 has been donated so far. As a result, there are only enough toys to fill the requests of 215 families. Nearly 500 families submitted requests for Toybox assistance.
Cape Girardeau is an abundantly generous community that supports several programs throughout the year to help those who are in unfortunate circumstances. This support is especially apparent during the holiday season.
Any gifts of toys or money are urgently needed. Several businesses are collecting toys, and Notre Dame Regional High School students and faculty are having a special drive this week.
Won't you please help?