- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Food for the needy
Boy Scouts in the Shawnee District have something to be proud of, and so do the local communities where these Scout troops meet. More than 71,000 food items were collected during a recent Scouting for Food Drive held in Southeast Missouri.
The number exceeded the goal of 70,000 items and was significantly higher than last year's collection. Scouts from Cape Girardeau and Bollinger counties and the communities of Scott City, Chaffee and Advance participated in the food drive.
The Scouts in the district worked to distribute the sacks for donated items and then spent a day collecting them. Their work will benefit area food pantries, which desperately need the donations at this time of year.
Forty-four Cub Scout packs and Boy Scout troops spent a recent Saturday afternoon collecting canned goods and other non-perishable items. Items taken to the New McKendree United Methodist Church were sorted and will be used by the Jackson Ministerial Alliance's food pantry program. Other community food drives will benefit as well.
Anyone who wasn't able to participate can make a donation to a local food pantry today. Donations are always appreciated -- and welcome when requests run particularly high, like during the holiday season.