- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
CAIRO, Ill. -- Elizabeth F. "Betty" Stuart, 85, of Cairo, died Sunday morning, Nov. 28, 2004, at Daystar Care Center in Cairo.
She was born Jan. 10, 1919, at Cairo, the daughter of Edward John Sr. and Elizabeth Williams Stuart.
Miss Stuart was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Cairo and the St. Patrick's Church Altar Guild, and retired after 30 years as a bookkeeper for Cairo Public Utility Co. and twenty years of service as a bookkeeper for Dr. Johnson's office in Cairo.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her brother, Edward Stuart Jr.; her sister, Mary Eleanor Powell; an infant sister; and an infant brother.
She is survived by a sister, Jean Stuart Swoboda of Cairo; several nieces, including Janet Moses and husband Billy of Mounds, Ill., Mary Ellen Mohundro and husband Larry of Cape Girardeau, Betty Schnake and husband Dave of Carterville, Ill., Cathy Dean of Cairo, Mary Ann Rhodes and husband Frank of Nashville, Tenn., Betsy Gardner and husband Bob of Hot Springs, N.C.
Also surviving are several nephews, including Stuart Swoboda and wife Kathy of Cape Girardeau, Edward Swoboda and wife Patti of Lancaster, Pa., Bill Powell of Tullahoma, Tenn., Bob Powell and wife Marti of Cleveland, Tenn.; other relatives; and many friends.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Barkett Funeral Home in Cairo. The rosary will be recited at 7:30 p.m. today.
The funeral Mass for Miss Stuart will be conducted at 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. Patrick's Catholic Church, with Monsignor Bill McGhee officiating. Interment will follow in Calvary Cemetery in Villa Ridge, Ill.
At the request of the family, expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to the Cairo Public Library, 1609 Washington Ave., Cairo, Ill., 62914, or St. Patrick's Catholic Church, 312 Ninth St., Cairo, Ill., 62914.