- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Romanian presidential race faces runoff
BUCHAREST, Romania -- Exit polls showed no clear winner in Romania's presidential election Sunday, forcing a runoff next month between a former ship's captain with a populist message and a political veteran embodying the communist past. The polls also showed that no party won a majority in the parliamentary election that would enable it to form a government by itself. The two top vote-getters both promise to lead the east European country out of poverty and into the European Union.
More than 100 trapped after coal mine explosion
BEIJING -- At least 166 workers were trapped Sunday after an explosion tore through a central Chinese coal mine, sending smoke billowing from air vents, the government said. Another 127 miners escaped. The blast rocked the state-owned Chenjiashan coal mine in Shaanxi province at 7:20 a.m., when 293 workers were underground.
Israel willing to give up 'unilateral' Gaza plan
JERUSALEM -- Israel is prepared to coordinate its pullout from Gaza with a new Palestinian government, officials said Sunday, a shift from Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's concept of "unilateral disengagement" and a sign that cooperation may be restored in the post-Arafat era. Security forces already are quietly cooperating with each other, Israeli officials said.