- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Appreciative of coverage
This note of appreciation goes to Bill Hester, a sports writer who works with the Southeast Missourian newspaper and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
I know people are always calling in to complain about the lack of good sports coverage in their area, but I want to acknowledge the good work being done by Bill and others on your staff. Scores were always in the newspaper. When coaches call, the scores are in there. Sometimes a call doesn't come in until it's too late, and the paper has gone to print.
Bill is the kind of guy who took the time to get to know each and every athlete and coach he wrote about on a personal level. His stories were always accurate and humorous and gave a real insider's view on what took place. I know he has a special place for tennis in his heart and his stories about the girls were tender and sweet. He didn't even shun the freshmen when they sought him out and actually quoted them. We need more people like him.
Thanks again for the terrific coverage.
(Slattery coaches the Central girls tennis team.)