- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
Christmas gifts would brighten sisters' holiday
A single mother hopes that Toybox can provide her children with a few gifts to brighten their Christmas holiday. Her two children won't have much without community donations through Toybox.
Zoe, 4, wants a Cabbage Patch doll, books, Dora the Explorer toys and Fisher-Price power touch books. Her sister, Marisa, 2, wants a kitchen play set, a Sit-n-Spin, an Elmo doll, books and Dora the Explorer toys.
Both girls would like games they can play with together, and like power-touch books that make sounds and noises when pressed.
Christmas for the Elderly
Mrs. C is a 78-year-old woman who lives with her husband and pets. The couple's only income is Social Security benefits.
Mrs. C has health problems related to a heart condition and poor eyesight.
She could use some cleaning supplies and medical supplies for dressing wounds. Personal hygiene items also top her wish lists, though she has no preferences for brands.
She wants some dish towels for her kitchen, house shoes in size 8 or 9 and men's T-shirts in size 2XL. Pet foods for the indoor dog and cats who live outdoors also would be helpful for this couple.
Gift certificates to grocery stores and discount stores also help out since the couple doesn't have much extra income.
Donations are being accepted at the newspaper offices and locations throughout town. Tax-deductible donations can be mailed to either program at P.O. Box 4, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 63702-0004.