- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)9
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)19
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
NASA says space station safe from orbiting junk
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA says the international space station is safe from an orbiting piece of satellite junk and does not need to move out of the way.
Mission Control assured station commander Mike Fincke on Monday evening that the debris would remain at a safe distance from the space station. Earlier in the day, experts warned the piece of junk might come within a half-mile of the outpost, and that the station might need to steer away.
Space shuttle Discovery is closing in on the space station for a linkup today.
The piece of junk being tracked is about four inches in size and comes from a Russian satellite that broke up in 1981.
Last Thursday, the three space station residents briefly took refuge in their emergency getaway capsule because of another piece of space junk that came too close.