- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)12
- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
University Bass Angler Team Designs Own Spinner Bait as Fundraiser
Sport Clubs at Southeast Missouri State University must find a unique way to pay the bills. For Alex Skelton, President of the Southeast Missouri State Bass Anglers, they have produced the "Schooling Spinner -- Southeast Series" spinner bait that is for sale to the public. Made with a local Gordonville company, the new spinner bait will help to raise needed funds for the university-sponsored club team.
"Proceeds will go to benefit the club" stated Skelton. The cost of the spinner bait is $10.00/each and most of the money will go toward the club to defray operating expenses.
The club has seen success in the three plus years of existence. The team has been nationally ranked for the past two years and has been participating in several events already this year and have several more events planned for this spring. Events this spring include tournaments at Kinkaid Lake in Illinois, Kentucky Lake in Tennessee, and Lake Dardanelle in Arkansas and the regional qualifier at Arkansas Tech University in March. Additionally, the club has been invited to attend the "Boat US Nationals" in Texas in May and also the Under Armor National Championship in Arkansas this summer.
"The idea for the new spinner bait was hatched over a year ago and it has taken some time to develop", stated Skelton. The bait was specifically designed for the club at SEMO and is a premium custom mold and paint job with an epoxy finish. All baits are hand made and contain a one-piece silicone skirt, Mustad needlepoint hook, and ball bearing swivels.
"We hope the bait really takes off. We were looking at something that was uncommon as a fundraiser and think we have something here. We are really excited and hope to get alumni and the university community interested in fishing involved," stated Skelton.
The team is planning to participate and represent the university at events, but the expense for running the club is a hindrance. Per sport club allocations and policies, the team gets little financial support from the university and many members pay for most travel (including mileage, gas, and hotels) out of their own pockets. Additionally, supplies, licenses, and boat maintenance are all the responsibility of members of the team. "Tournaments can get very expensive so we hope this will help us out a bit," says Skelton.
The spinner bait is for sale to anyone that would like one. The "Fishing Connection" in Gordonville (243-3074) has them available or you can contact the SEMO Bass Anglers directly by contacting Alex at 573.382.3220.
Information regarding the SEMO Bass Anglers can be obtained by clicking to http://www6.semo.edu/bassanglers. For more information, please contact Jennifer Rose in the Department of Recreation Services at 986.7379.