- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Former Cape cop faces stealing-by-deceit charge (6/18/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)2
- Cape man faces charges of victim tampering (6/18/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Library provides free lunches this summer (6/19/17)
- Fire destroys two greenhouses at Travelers Gazebo site in Cape (6/22/17)
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)
Paradox: Courthouse and CCC
The Civilian Conservation Corps and the federal courthouse shared the front page of the March 1 Southeast Missourian. Quite a paradox. The CCC helped rescue us from the last depression. The courthouse is the best local example of why we are headed to the second great depression after three-quarters of a century: the waste of $70 million on a new courthouse so the old one can be used as a homeless shelter.
BILL D. BURLISON, Advance, Mo.