- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
With the holiday season upon us, many people will begin making plans for celebrations and festivities. But it's important to remember that even in the festivity of Thanksgiving meals and the bustle of Christmas preparations, there are some among us who often do without.
Programs like Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly help the neediest of all ages. Both are joint efforts of the Southeast Missourian and the Cape Girardeau Jaycees.
The Salvation Army accepts applications for the Toybox program. Caseworkers at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the county health department make referrals for the Elderly program.
Toybox provides gifts to children from infants to age 12. Christmas for the Elderly offers the same assistance to senior adults in the community. Through donations of household staples, nutritional supplements and even clothing, the seniors get a little holiday spirit.
Community donations make both programs possible. Each program needs about $50,000 to provide the assistance.
Toybox gives aid to residents of Cape Girardeau. Christmas for the Elderly offers aid to residents in Cape Girardeau, Scott and Bollinger counties.
Other worthy causes during the holiday season include Toys for Tots, supported by the U.S. Marine Corps League, and the Salvation Army's Tree of Lights. It's important to remember these worthy causes as we celebrate.