- Obama shortens sentence of inmate from Cape (1/19/17)9
- Jackson police describe night of anger, car crashes, drug possession by 18-year-old (1/22/17)5
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Area hospitals hope a box helps prevent infant deaths (1/19/17)6
- Meat-processing plant faces $70K penalty for Clean Water Act violations (1/17/17)4
- Local students to perform with choir at inauguration (1/19/17)3
- Southeast to lose $3.5 million from state in budget cuts (1/18/17)21
- Subjects of interest in 1992 killing take polygraph tests; results not revealed (1/18/17)2
- Governor cuts $146 million, colleges take hit (1/17/17)
- Comedian, cancer survivor Tom Green headlines sold-out Cancer Center benefit (1/22/17)
With the holiday season upon us, many people will begin making plans for celebrations and festivities. But it's important to remember that even in the festivity of Thanksgiving meals and the bustle of Christmas preparations, there are some among us who often do without.
Programs like Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly help the neediest of all ages. Both are joint efforts of the Southeast Missourian and the Cape Girardeau Jaycees.
The Salvation Army accepts applications for the Toybox program. Caseworkers at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the county health department make referrals for the Elderly program.
Toybox provides gifts to children from infants to age 12. Christmas for the Elderly offers the same assistance to senior adults in the community. Through donations of household staples, nutritional supplements and even clothing, the seniors get a little holiday spirit.
Community donations make both programs possible. Each program needs about $50,000 to provide the assistance.
Toybox gives aid to residents of Cape Girardeau. Christmas for the Elderly offers aid to residents in Cape Girardeau, Scott and Bollinger counties.
Other worthy causes during the holiday season include Toys for Tots, supported by the U.S. Marine Corps League, and the Salvation Army's Tree of Lights. It's important to remember these worthy causes as we celebrate.