- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Students move into new fraternity housing at Southeast Missouri State University (8/18/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)21
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)9
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Logan's Roadhouse in Cape not closing; Ruby Tuesday fate still unknown (8/17/16)
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
With the holiday season upon us, many people will begin making plans for celebrations and festivities. But it's important to remember that even in the festivity of Thanksgiving meals and the bustle of Christmas preparations, there are some among us who often do without.
Programs like Toybox and Christmas for the Elderly help the neediest of all ages. Both are joint efforts of the Southeast Missourian and the Cape Girardeau Jaycees.
The Salvation Army accepts applications for the Toybox program. Caseworkers at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the county health department make referrals for the Elderly program.
Toybox provides gifts to children from infants to age 12. Christmas for the Elderly offers the same assistance to senior adults in the community. Through donations of household staples, nutritional supplements and even clothing, the seniors get a little holiday spirit.
Community donations make both programs possible. Each program needs about $50,000 to provide the assistance.
Toybox gives aid to residents of Cape Girardeau. Christmas for the Elderly offers aid to residents in Cape Girardeau, Scott and Bollinger counties.
Other worthy causes during the holiday season include Toys for Tots, supported by the U.S. Marine Corps League, and the Salvation Army's Tree of Lights. It's important to remember these worthy causes as we celebrate.