- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
* Cape youth league: The Cape Girardeau Noon Optimist Youth Baseball League will accept registrations by mail through March 15. Registration forms may be obtained at any of the local public or private school offices as well as Nearly Perfect Shoes and Howard's Sporting Goods or online at www.capeyouthbaseball.com. The league is for players ages 5 to 15, with ages determined as of April 30, 2009. Info: Percy Huston, 278-6763.
* Jackson youth league: The Jackson Boys Baseball League will conduct summer registration for the 2009 season in the Community Room at Jackson City Hall from 6 to 8 p.m. today. Registration forms also can be found on the league's website www.jblbaseball.org and mailed with payment to Jackson Boys League, P.O. Box 676, Jackson, MO 63755. Registrations after March 21 will not be accepted. Forms received after today must be accompanied by a $15 late fee.
* Cardinals trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to St. Louis for the Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs game April 25 at 3:10 p.m. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 11:15 a.m. and should return by 8 p.m. Cost: $27 per ticket plus $18 for those who wish to ride the bus. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 339-6340.
* Travel team tryouts: Next Level Global Sports Basketball Club, coached by B.J. Smith, will hold tryouts for boys in high school March 14 and 21 at Red Star Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau. Girls will try out at 4 p.m., while boys will try out at 6 p.m. Info: 587-4646 or 382-9343.
* Doctors vs. lawyers game: The 16th annual doctors vs. lawyers basketball game will take place March 14 at the Central High School gym. Cost: $5 for adults, $2.50 for children under 12 years old. There will be a post-game party at The Marquette Terrace, which costs an additional $20. All proceeds benefit the Community Counseling Center Foundation. Info: Larry Essner, 339-6109.
* Travel team tryouts: Next Level Global Sports Basketball Club, coached by B.J. Smith, will hold tryouts for girls in seventh and eighth grade Saturday at Red Star Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau. The tryout will begin at 10 a.m. Info: 587-4646 or 382-9343.
* PGA tournament trip: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a trip to Memphis, Tenn., for the final day, June 14, of the Stanford St. Jude Championship at the TPC Southwind. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 6 a.m. Cost: $60, which includes a one-day admission to the tournament and transportation to and from the course on a charter bus. Info: 339-6340.
* Referee clinic: An entry-level referee clinic will be offered at the Heartland Banquet Hall in Jackson. The sessions will be Friday from 6 to 10 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sunday from 1 to 6 p.m. Cost: $25, plus $40 to register with the U.S. Soccer Federation after passing the course. The course is open to anyone age 13 and older. Info: Kim Spear: 334-3075.
* Parks and Recreation leagues: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will hold managers meetings for the 2009 season at the Osage Community Centre. The meeting for co-ed, church and men's leagues will be March 12. The meeting for girls fast-pitch will be April 9. All meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. The registration deadline for the co-ed league is March 20. The deadline for the men's and church leagues is March 27. The deadline for the girls fast-pitch league is April 24. Info: 334-2523 or 335-5421.
* Traveling team tryout: The Heartland Mystics girls fast-pitch softball team will hold open tryouts for its U-14 team Sunday at Frisco Park in Chaffee. The tryout will begin at 3 p.m. Info or directions: Kevin Estes, 318-0129.
* Jackson men's league meeting: A meeting for the Jackson men's softball league will be held at 7 p.m. March 23 at Main Street Lanes in Jackson. A $525 league fee is payable at the meeting. Info: Jeff Kinder, 275-7068.
* Youth camp: The Kelly Hawks and Heartland Travelers U-16 softball teams will host camps for players in grades 3 through 8. An all-skills camp will be March 21 and a pitchers and catchers camp will be April 4. The camps will take place at the Kelly High School field, and run from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Cost: $35 for each camp. Info or to register: 318-5383, 887-1650 or 545-3420.
Track and field
* Youth track club: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor a youth track club, formerly the Junior Roadrunners. The team is open to boys and girls ages 6 to 14, and practices will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Central Junior High beginning March 17. There will be open registration Saturday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the A.C. Brase Arena. Cost: $60, which includes T-shirt, USATF membership and all meet registration fees through May. Info: Parks and Recreation Department, 339-6340.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.