- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Kit Bond to get Truman award
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- Republican Sen. Kit Bond has been announced as the latest recipient of the Harry S. Truman Good Neighbor Award.
Bond will receive the award at a luncheon May 7. The event marks the 125th anniversary of the late president's May 8, 1884, birth.
Bond rose from Missouri's youngest governor to its senior Republican statesmen and a leading national voice on intelligence issues. He announced in January that he will not seek another term in the U.S. Senate.
The Harry S. Truman Good Neighbor Award Foundation said Bond was picked because of his "extraordinary public service."
The award bearing Truman's name has been given annually since 1973.
Other recipients have included former president Gerald Ford, television journalist Walter Cronkite and Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.