- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
LaVerne Van Weelden
LaVerne Van Weelden
LaVerne E. Herman Van Weelden, 79, of Cape Girardeau died Monday, March 3, 2008, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born June 20, 1928, in Chicago, daughter of Michael J. and Anna Moskus Herman.
She and Edward F. Van Weelden were married October 22, 1949, in Chicago. He died June 14, 1988.
She owned and operated LaVerne's Hallmark Card Shop from 1969 to 1980 when she retired. She volunteered at the Missouri Veterans Home and was a member of the Saint Francis Medical Center Auxiliary and the American Legion Auxiliary.
If you were lucky enough to have known this wonderful lady you would have known she was a devoted and loving wife, mother, grandmother and friend. She never passed you by without a touch, hug or word of encouragement from the Lord. She offered her love and selflessness through her stitchwork that she made for all. She will be missed by those she touched. Be happy for this warm-hearted lady because she is finally at rest with her beloved husband and Father.
She is survived by three sons, Gary Van Weelden and wife, Ginger, of Cape Girardeau, Michael Van Weelden and wife, Debrah, of Alpharetta, Ga., Mark Van Weelden and wife, Sharon, of Copperas Cove, Texas; two daughters-in-law, Lea Ann McLafferty of St. Louis, Sharon Van Weelden of Destin, Fla.; a sister, Anne Roe of Las Vegas; seven grandchildren, Edwin Van Weelden and wife, Trisha, of Washington, Mo., Joel Van Weelden of Destin, Mary Van Weelden of Thousand Oaks, Calif., Laura Van Weelden of Thousand Oaks, Jackie Van Weelden of Ballwin, Mo., Andrea Van Weelden of Ballwin, Jamie Van Weelden of Ballwin; and a great-grandchild, Kaleb Van Weelden of Washington.
She was preceded in death by her parents, a son and a sister.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, March 5, 2008, at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home, with parish prayers at 7 p.m.
Funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Thursday, March 6, 2008, at St. Vincent de Paul Church, with the Rev. David Hulshof officiating.
Burial will be at Memorial Park Mausoleum in Cape Girardeau.
Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or Southeast Hospice.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.