- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Singer Neal Boyd dies after struggle with health issues (6/12/18)1
- Feeding deer in Bollinger, Cape and Perry counties prohibited soon to help curb spread of CWD (6/13/18)7
- Cape man charged with stabbing, killing dog for revenge (6/8/18)9
- Couple charged in beating death at Brick's (6/13/18)
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)
- New Zaxby's restaurant open in Cape (6/13/18)3
- New urban dance studio opens on Broadway (6/15/18)2
Centers provide valuable services
To the editor:
This letter is in reference to Robert Krone's Nov. 11 letter, "Close all the senior centers." Mr. Krone has not been educated on the importance of a senior center. I suggest Mr. Krone attend a senior center or volunteer at a center to see firsthand the importance of senior centers. It is very easy to sit back and pass judgment on an issue when you are not knowledgeable of its workings.
As a senior center administrator for the past 18 years, I have seen firsthand the importance of the program. The program is so much more than anyone realizes. The centers are a resource of information for senior citizens and their families, as well as a hot noon meal or a place to seek companionship.
I only hope the senior centers are still around when Mr. Krone or a family member is in need of our services. The centers keep people out of nursing homes so they can live an independent life.
SUSAN POBST, OAKS Center, Chaffee, Mo.