- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
Centers provide valuable services
To the editor:
This letter is in reference to Robert Krone's Nov. 11 letter, "Close all the senior centers." Mr. Krone has not been educated on the importance of a senior center. I suggest Mr. Krone attend a senior center or volunteer at a center to see firsthand the importance of senior centers. It is very easy to sit back and pass judgment on an issue when you are not knowledgeable of its workings.
As a senior center administrator for the past 18 years, I have seen firsthand the importance of the program. The program is so much more than anyone realizes. The centers are a resource of information for senior citizens and their families, as well as a hot noon meal or a place to seek companionship.
I only hope the senior centers are still around when Mr. Krone or a family member is in need of our services. The centers keep people out of nursing homes so they can live an independent life.
SUSAN POBST, OAKS Center, Chaffee, Mo.