- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- Fake UFC event listing stirs the pot at local Golden Corral (2/10/18)3
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Area restaurants plan for those observing Lent on Valentine's Day (2/12/18)
Centers provide valuable services
To the editor:
This letter is in reference to Robert Krone's Nov. 11 letter, "Close all the senior centers." Mr. Krone has not been educated on the importance of a senior center. I suggest Mr. Krone attend a senior center or volunteer at a center to see firsthand the importance of senior centers. It is very easy to sit back and pass judgment on an issue when you are not knowledgeable of its workings.
As a senior center administrator for the past 18 years, I have seen firsthand the importance of the program. The program is so much more than anyone realizes. The centers are a resource of information for senior citizens and their families, as well as a hot noon meal or a place to seek companionship.
I only hope the senior centers are still around when Mr. Krone or a family member is in need of our services. The centers keep people out of nursing homes so they can live an independent life.
SUSAN POBST, OAKS Center, Chaffee, Mo.