Region digest 11/13/04

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Trial of Florida man moved to December

The trial of a Royal Palm Beach, Fla., man accused luring a Cape Girardeau boy to Kansas for sex has been delayed to December. Archillis Boglosa, 35, was originally scheduled to appear before a jury next week. He is to appear for a pretrial hearing Dec. 13. Boglosa was arrested Feb. 17 after he contacted a 13-year-old boy on an America Online chat room Jan 10. Authorities say Boglosa gave the boy his cell phone number and promised the boy he would buy a plane ticket and fly him to Kansas City, Mo. According to the probable-cause statement issued at the time, the boy stole a vehicle and drove to the St. Louis airport. Boglosa bought him a plane ticket and picked him up at the Kansas City airport and drove him to Gardner, Kan., where he sexually assaulted him. He remains incarcerated in Kansas, where he also has been charged in connection with the incident.

Dozens of animals rescued in Scott County

BENTON, Mo. -- Approximately 40 animals were rescued Friday evening from a two-acre property near Benton. Four dead animals were also found. The Scott County Sheriff's Department went to the property along with the Sikeston Bootheel Humane Society, which notified the Humane Society of Missouri about the condition of the animals. Investigators discovered the bodies of a llama, a fallow deer, a calf and a sheep. In the same enclosed area with the dead animals were exotic and farm animals, including a bull calf, pot-bellied pigs, emus, goats, horned sheep and ducks. The property owner's name was not released. Once the investigation is finished, the Humane Society will refer the matter to the Scott County prosecuting attorney.

Pilot lands after airport checks landing gear

Cape Girardeau emergency responders were called out to the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport at around 10:30 a.m. Friday. A pilot who was attempting to land at the airport reported that his plane's landing gear indicator was malfunctioning and he was unsure whether his landing gear was down. However, Cape Girardeau fire chief Richard Ennis said that the pilot made a pass at the control tower, where tower personnel could see and relay that the plane's landing gear was indeed down. The plane then landed without incident.

-- From staff reports

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: