Recovery facts and resources

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

FEMA will not pay for generators, gas, chain saws or spoiled food.

"It's such an overwhelming time. People are dealing with so much and there's frustration," said FEMA spokeswoman Hannah Vick. "People spent money that they had in an emergency fund for gas or generators or lost everything in their fridge."

Direct federal assistance so far has included bottled water, emergency generators and blankets and cots for emergency shelters.

People who need help or those who wish to volunteer or offer help should call United Way's 211 (cell phone users must call 1-800-427-4626).

FEMA's toll-free number: 800-621-3362.

For resources online, visit or make an online storm damage report in Scott County by visiting

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: