Out of the past 02/07/09

Saturday, February 7, 2009

25 years ago: Feb. 7, 1984

An unsettled boundary between Cape Girardeau and Scott counties took a step closer to resolution yesterday, with agreement reached between the two county courts on the location of the border; the section of border in question runs along Cape LaCroix Creek near the Mississippi River.

Two incumbents and a Southeast Missouri State University student are the top vote-getters in the Cape Girardeau City Council primary election; narrowing the field of nine council candidates to six, voters give the primary nod to incumbents Peter Hilty and Curtis S. Smith, university student David W. Barklage, Kathryn Braasch, Gary D. Schreiner and Billy E. Mize.

50 years ago: Feb. 7, 1959

The Cape Girardeau County Association for Retarded Children will launch a campaign next week to raise funds to renovate the County Home for use as a school for retarded children; the work will cost about $7,000.

One of the showplaces of Cape Girardeau in earlier years, the A.R. Ponder house at William Street and Louisiana Avenue, has been restored to much of its original beauty by the new owners, Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Bullock; the eight-room structure was built in 1905.

75 years ago: Feb. 7, 1934

Three men announce their candidacies for city commissioner in the coming election: Philip H. Steck, a former member of the city council; William C. Hartung, and E.W. Gibson; Commissioner E.P. Ellis has petitions in circulation supporting his candidacy for re-election.

A 33-acre plot of ground near South Pacific Street has been secured again for the Red Cross community garden; the ground is owned by J.A. Rigdon and the Cape Girardeau School Board; an attempt will be made to make it possible for families to grow a full crop of garden and truck plants; free seeds will be provided.

100 years ago: Feb. 7, 1909

The Rev. W.M. Walton, archdeacon of Missouri, officiates at the Episcopal Church in the morning worship service.

As a result of the good work being done by the Rev. Owens of St. James AME Church, there have been 14 converts to religion; seven of the converts are baptized in the Mississippi River in the afternoon.

— Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: