- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)20
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Chamber honorees represent our best ideals
The Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce gave special recognition at its annual banquet last month to several deserving individuals and businesses. Once again, the awards appropriately called attention to some of the community's bright spots.
Neal Edwards received the Rush H. Limbaugh Award for community service. Edwards has been a leader in community activities more than 40 years, including chamber growth, civic organizations, church and veterans affairs. He is a past recipient of the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America award given each Fourth of July to an individual nominated for civic and patriotic involvement in the community.
Kelly Florian of Capital Insurance and Associates received the chamber's Go Getter Award, an honor that had been bestowed on Edwards a total of 13 times over the years.
Servpro was honored as the chamber's Small Business of the Year, and Auto Tire and Parts was recognized with a Century of Excellence Award for its 100th year in business. Ozark Gas Equipment and Supply's 50th year in business also was recognized.
Special recognition went to Doug Leslie, Cape Girardeau city manager, who is retiring from a distinguished career in city administration, including the last five years as city manager here. The 675 chamber members and guests at the banquet gave Leslie a well-deserved standing ovation.
Congratulations to all those recognized for their special achievements. The devotion to excellence exhibited by these honorees is a hallmark of dedication to the community's best aims.