- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Chamber honorees represent our best ideals
The Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce gave special recognition at its annual banquet last month to several deserving individuals and businesses. Once again, the awards appropriately called attention to some of the community's bright spots.
Neal Edwards received the Rush H. Limbaugh Award for community service. Edwards has been a leader in community activities more than 40 years, including chamber growth, civic organizations, church and veterans affairs. He is a past recipient of the Southeast Missourian's Spirit of America award given each Fourth of July to an individual nominated for civic and patriotic involvement in the community.
Kelly Florian of Capital Insurance and Associates received the chamber's Go Getter Award, an honor that had been bestowed on Edwards a total of 13 times over the years.
Servpro was honored as the chamber's Small Business of the Year, and Auto Tire and Parts was recognized with a Century of Excellence Award for its 100th year in business. Ozark Gas Equipment and Supply's 50th year in business also was recognized.
Special recognition went to Doug Leslie, Cape Girardeau city manager, who is retiring from a distinguished career in city administration, including the last five years as city manager here. The 675 chamber members and guests at the banquet gave Leslie a well-deserved standing ovation.
Congratulations to all those recognized for their special achievements. The devotion to excellence exhibited by these honorees is a hallmark of dedication to the community's best aims.