Man who froze in home leaves $600K to hospital

Friday, February 6, 2009

BAY CITY, Mich. -- An attorney says a 93-year-old Michigan man who froze to death after a power company restricted electricity to his home over roughly $1,000 in unpaid bills left an estimated $600,000 to a hospital.

Marvin Schur's attorney, Cathy Reder, told the Detroit Free Press the World War II veteran bequeathed his entire fortune to Bay Medical Center.

Schur's frozen body was found Jan. 17, four days after Bay City Electric Light & Power installed a device on his electric meter that cuts power after a predetermined level is reached.

State regulators issued emergency rules Wednesday designed to protect more people against electricity or heat shutoffs in the winter.

Comments
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: