SIKESTON — Sikeston’s Emergency Operational Command continues to receive reports of carbon monoxide poisoning around the city. Symptoms include dizziness, headaches, nausea, tiredness.
"This is a very serious issue and could cause death to everyone in the home," said Sgt. Jim McMillen
spokesman for Sikeston Department of Public Safety in a statement issued Sunday. "Anyone using a gas generator must make sure they are not running it in an enclosed area. Running a generator in a garage or basement will build up carbon monoxide in the air and this CO gas can easily make its way into living areas."
He said using propane or kerosene heaters not approved for indoor use can also be a serious health concern. These types of heat sources emit carbon monoxide and reduce oxygen levels in the home.
"Simply stated, you may go to sleep and not wake up," he said.
Generator safety tips:
— Never use a gas generator in an enclosed space (i.e. Garages or basements, etc.)
— Don’t place generators near doors and windows.
— Place the generator as far from the home as possible.
— Equip your home with a CO detector (carbon monoxide detector)
— Never use a barbecue grill in your home for heat.
— Propane and kerosene heat sources should be approved for indoor use and MUST HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION. (See the operator’s manual for each device.)
If you believe you have CO in your home, seek fresh air immediately and contact Sikeston DPS at 471-4711 immediately.