- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Girl Scout cookies not affected by peanut butter warning
People can still enjoy Peanut Butter Patties and Peanut Butter Sandwiches Girl Scout cookies ordered from local Girl Scouts, according to the Girl Scout Council.
ABC Interbake, the licensed cookie baker for Girl Scouts of the Missouri Heartland, which serves 21,000 girls in southern and central Missouri, southeast Kansas, and northeast Oklahoma, does not source its peanut butter from the supplier involved in the current peanut butter warning, the council said.
FDA and other regulatory agencies have cited Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) is the focus of their investigation concerning a recent Salmonella outbreak thought to be caused by tainted peanut butter.
PCA is headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., with factories in Blakely, Ga., Suffolk, Va. and Plainview, Texas.
PCA does not supply peanut butter used in any variety of Girl Scout cookies.
Hampton Farms supplies the peanut butter to ABC Interbake. The FDA has audited Hampton Farms recently, and the audit revealed no issues. Samples taken showed no contamination, and records supported Hampton Farms' reports that they have neither shipped to nor received peanut butter from PCA.
The Girl Scout Cookie Program is the nation's premier entrepreneurship and educational program for girls, and we appreciate the support of the local community.
For more information on Girl Scout cookies or Girl Scout leadership programs, go to www.girlscoutsmoheartland.org or call 1-877-312-4764.
-- From staff reports