- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- Theon John Schmitt, 60, of Chaffee died Thursday, Jan. 29, 2009, at his home.
He was born Sept. 16, 1948, at Oran, Mo., son of Linus Cletus and Maudie Louise Biby Schmitt. He and Karen Sue Gloth were married Feb. 14, 1977.
Schmitt was a janitor at St. Ambrose Catholic Church. He was a member of the church, its Men's Club, and Chaffee Elks Lodge 1810.
He was a sergeant in the U.S. Army and served in Vietnam.
Survivors include his wife, Karen Schmitt of Chaffee; a son, Michael Schmitt of Chaffee; two daughters, Stephanie Hobbs of Batesville, Ark., Candy Collom of Jonesboro, Ark.; his mother of Chaffee; two brothers, Cletus and Donald Schmitt of Chaffee; and two grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his father.
Visitation will be after 5 p.m. Sunday at St. Ambrose Church. Parish prayers will be at 7.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Monday at the church, with the Rev. Ralph Duffner officiating. Burial will be in St. Ambrose Cemetery.
Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel in Chaffee is in charge of arrangements.