- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Two area lawmakers take positions within legislature
Tracy to be secretary of incoming legislators
State Rep. Clint Tracy, R-Cape Girardeau, was elected secretary of the freshman class of Missouri legislators Tuesday following a nomination from Rep. Mary Still, D-Columbia. The election was part of the selection of a bipartisan group of lawmakers to the leadership posts among new lawmakers. The 45 members elected Rep. Kenny Bierman, D-St. Charles, to be the president of the class. Tracy was elected in November to succeed state Rep. Mary Kasten, who held the seat for 11 months following a special election.
Crowell to stay chair of veterans' committee
Sen. Jason Crowell, R-Cape Girardeau, kept his seat as chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs and Pensions in the newly organized Missouri Senate. Crowell will also continue to hold a seat on the Financial and Governmental Organizations and Elections Committee and the Committee on Gubernatorial Appointments. He was selected for new responsibilities as a member of the Small Business, Insurance and Industry Committee, the Progress and Development Committee and the Select Committee on Oversight of Federal Stimulus, which will oversee efforts to obtain federal funding in an extraordinary package of federal economic recovery spending.
-- From staff reports