- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
CHAFFEE, Mo. -- G.W. "Pete" Bond, 89, of Chaffee passed away Thursday, Jan. 22, 2009, at Landmark Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Jan. 31, 1919, in Morehouse, Mo., to the late Emmett and Ruth Blaylock Bond. Pete and Mary "Katie" Lee were married March 16, 1947.
Pete served in the U.S. Army Air Corps.
He was a member of Chaffee First Baptist Church and he loved to be the official greeter. He was an avid Chaffee Red Devils fan and was a former member of the Chaffee School Board and Chaffee Alumni Association. He served a number of years as chaplain of Chaffee VFW Post 3127 and was a very active member. He also was a 32nd Degree member of Chaffee Masonic Lodge 615, Scottish Rite, Moolah Shriners and Cape Shriners Club.
Pete loved to tell stories and pick on everybody. The two most important things in Pete's life were his family and he wanted everyone to have a personal relationship with Jesus, so they could have a good life here and a better life in heaven.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Mike (Dianna) Bond of Jefferson City, Mo.; two daughters, Sue (Jack) Wessel of Gordonville, Jan (Bob) Gile of Cape Girardeau; four grandchildren, Wesley Bond of Jefferson City, Joshua Bond of Kansas City, Mo., Kristin Farmer and Todd Wessel of Orlando, Fla.
Also three stepgrandchildren, Matthew Gile and John Gile of Columbia, Mo., Elizabeth Gile of Columbus, Ohio; and four great-grandchildren, Jacob Bond, Joshua Bond, Alyssa Bond and James Grant Farmer; and an uncle, W.F. Blaylock of Las Vegas.
A sister preceded him in death.
Friends may call after 10:30 a.m. today at Chaffee First Baptist Church.
A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today at the church, with the Rev. Gerald Collier officiating and the Rev. Watis Harrell assisting. VFW Post 3127 will have a service after the message. Burial will be at a later date.
Honorary pallbearers will be Charles Vickery, Mert Mirley, Joe Bob Cobb, Don Eakers and Gary Kluesner.
Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapel of Chaffee is in charge of arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to Chaffee First Baptist Church or Missouri Baptist Children's Home.