- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Area sports calendar 11/4/04
Hotshot contest: The Jackson Parks and Recreation Department is offering a Points for Pizzas Basketball Hotshot Contest on Nov. 20 at the multi-purpose building by Jackson High School. Registration is 9 a.m. with the contest to begin at 10. Divisions for ages 9-11, 12-14 and 15-17. No fee; Domino's pizzas for top three finishers. A half-court shoot-off also planned. Info: 204-8848.
Youth clinic: Southeast Missouri Hospital's HealthPoint Fitness at HealthPoint Plaza in Cape Girardeau will host a basketball clinic for girls in the third through eighth grades on Nov. 13 from 9 to 11:30 a.m. The clinic will be conducted by the Southeast Missouri State University women's basketball coaching staff. Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. Clinic fee is $10 for children of HealthPoint Fitness or Main Street Fitness Center members and $15 for children of non-members. Entry deadline is Tuesday. Info: HealthPoint Fitness, 339-7111, or Main Street Fitness, 243-2211.
Youth league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will offer a Girls Youth Basketball League for those in grades 3-12. The league will play in three divisions on Saturdays from Jan. 8 to mid-March. An informational meeting is set for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Osage Community Centre. Info: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
Free youth bowling: The Jackson Evening and Jackson Noon Optimist clubs invite Jackson schoolchildren in first through sixth grades to free bowling and one free beverage at the New Main Street Lanes. The event is 5 to 9 p.m. on the following evenings with first-come, first-serve: Monday for grades 1-3, Tuesday for grades 4-5 and Wednesday for sixth grade. Bowling shoes provided. Info: 243-7192 or 243-5489.
Point to Point 5K: Southeast Missouri Hospital's HealthPoint Fitness at HealthPoint Plaza in Cape Girardeau will host its first annual Point to Point 5-kilometer run 8 a.m. Nov. 13. Events include a 1.5-mile walk/run, a 3.1-mile walk and a 3.1-mile run. Age categories range from 10 and under to 70 and over. Entry fee is $10 in advance and $12 on race day, and that includes a T-shirt. Childcare is available during the event. Info: Bill Logan, 339-7111, or Debbie Leoni, 243-2211. Participants may register on-line at www.active.com.
Youth program: The Cape USA wrestling program will have a meeting 7 p.m. Nov. 22 at Central High School for registration. The club is planning on seven tournaments this season. Practices are scheduled to begin Nov. 29. Info: Gunder Woldtvedt, 334-2221 or 579-8735, and Josh Crowell, 335-1373 or 382-1213.
Area listings appear free each Thursday. Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail by noon Wednesday to be included in the calendar for the following day's edition.