- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Scott County man killed by rolling truck
MORLEY, Mo. -- A Morley man was killed Friday when his truck rolled over him outside his home, according to Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter. Keith Taylor, 56, had exited the truck, which has a manual transmission, while it was parked on a small ridge, Walter said. When Taylor exited, he walked around the back of the vehicle and the truck began rolling, rolled over him and killed him, Walter said. Visitation will be from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Morley Baptist Church. The funeral will be at 4 p.m. Sunday at the church.
Morley man charged with eight sex offenses
BENTON, Mo. -- A Morley, Mo., man is being held in the Scott County Jail, charged with eight sexual offenses that happened in Scott City and Chaffee, Mo., according to a news release from Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter. Gary W. Calhoun, 51, is charged with six counts of statutory rape and two counts of statutory sodomy. Calhoun's bond is set at $100,000 cash only.
Arnold, Mo., man arrested for sex crime
BENTON, Mo. -- A 35-year-old Arnold, Mo., man was arrested Friday in Scott County after trying to meet what he thought was a 14-year-old girl to have sex with her, according to a news release from the Scott County Sheriff's Department. Douglas M. Bone was in the Scott County Jail on Friday night, charged with attempted second-degree statutory rape, two counts of attempted sexual misconduct with a child and four counts of attempted enticement of a child. His bond is set at $25,000 cash. Walter said in the news release an undercover investigator posing as a 14-year-old girl started chatting with Bone on the Internet in November, and the chats became sexual. During a chat session a few days ago, Bone made arrangements to travel to Benton to meet his chat partner, Walter said, only to be met by sheriff's deputies Friday morning.
Cape woman fatally struck by car on I-55
ST. LOUIS -- A Cape Girardeau woman was fatally struck by a car on Interstate 55 Thursday evening. The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported Melena Z. Broglin, 31, ran into the path of a 1990 Jeep Wrangler driven by Richard L. Hearst, 47, of Green Park, Mo., around 9:20 p.m. The Wrangler struck Broglin, who was pronounced dead on the scene at 9:30 p.m.
-- From staff reports