- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Out of the past 10/31/04
25 years ago: Oct. 31, 1979
A combination of too many leaves and too few employees and pieces of equipment has resulted in the schedule for leaf pickup falling behind.
TAMMS, Ill. -- As a result of a walkout by district bus drivers, only about 16 pupils show up for classes at the Egyptian Unit School; 13 drivers have been joined in the work stoppage by six cooks and apparently by six custodians.
50 years ago: Oct. 31, 1954
The Rev. Herman H. Koppelmann, assistant executive secretary of the Board of Foreign Missions, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, speaks at Trinity Lutheran Church at annual Mission Festival Day.
Cape Girardeau Catholic High School, the new structure built by local parishes to fill the educational needs of their children, is formally dedicated in an afternoon service led by the Most Rev. Joseph E. Ritter, archbishop of St. Louis.
75 years ago: Oct. 31, 1929
Seven boys from the fifth grade at the West Broadway School are installed as members of the first School Boy Patrol of the Automobile Club of Missouri in Cape Girardeau.
Daniel Cole, a timber worker, suffers a a broken back near his home at Scopus, Mo., when a tree which he is helping to cut falls on him; the full extend of his injuries aren't known.
100 years ago: Oct. 31, 1904
Haarig is to have a bank; the new institution will be known as the Farmers and Merchants Bank and will be located on Good Hope Street; directors are H.A. Nussbaum, Robert Vogelsang, C.H. Huenschild, Charles Moeder, G.P. Keller, James F. Fuerth and Joseph Hahs.
The town of Illmo, two miles west of Thebes, Ill., at the bridge approach on the Missouri side, is forging ahead; 250 houses of all kinds are being built; among them are five two-story business houses, two two-story hotels and many residences; a post office has been located there with S.R. Setts as postmaster.
-- Sharon K. Sanders