Thursday, January 15, 2009
* Southeast camps: The Southeast Missouri State baseball program will host two prospect camps at Houck Field House for age 13 through seniors in high school Jan. 24 and 25 and Feb. 7 and 8. Cost: $95. Campers must bring their own workout gear. No cleats are permitted inside Houck Field House. Info: 986-6002.
* Cardinals Caravan: The St. Louis Cardinals Caravan will visit Cape Girardeau on Sunday at the Osage Community Centre. The entourage will include Cardinals outfielder Joe Mather, outfielder Brian Barton, pitcher Jason Motte and third baseman Brett Wallace, the team's first-round draft pick in 2008. Former Cardinals and Southeast Missouri State outfielder Kerry Robinson and television announcer Dan McLaughlin will accompany the players. Doors will open at noon, and the event is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m. Cost: $4 per person, with free admission for ages 2 and under. Tickets can be purchased in advance at the Osage Community Centre.
* Grizzlies game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host a trip to Memphis, Tenn., for the Memphis Grizzlies vs. Los Angeles Lakers game Jan. 31. The game is scheduled to tip off at 7 p.m. The bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 1 p.m. and arrive on Beale Street in Memphis around 4 p.m. Cost: $60, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation to the game. Info or to register: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Globetrotters game: The Harlem Globetrotters' Spinning the Globe tour will be at the Show Me Center on March 25. Tickets start at $20, and are available at the Show Me Center box office. Info: harlemglobetrotters.com.
* Performance clinic: The Cape Girardeau Parks Development Foundation will offer a six-week clinic conducted by Rick Hetzel. It will provide participants with an overview of the proper exercises and conditioning to improve upper and lower body strength, as well as basic yoga for flexibility and motion. Video analysis of each participant's swing and setup will be provided. Sessions also include instruction on the basic fundamentals of putting, chipping and pitch shots. Sessions begin Jan. 26 and run through March 28. Times are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily, as well as Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon. Cost: $185 for an adult, $150 for 18 and under. Info or to register: Rick Hetzel, 279-0090 or Jared Tanz, 334-2031.
* Trip to Blues game: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring a trip to the St. Louis Blues game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday. A chartered bus will leave the Osage Community Centre at 4:30 p.m. and return after the 7:30 p.m. game. Cost: $60, which includes a ticket to the game and transportation. Info or to purchase a ticket: Parks and Recreation Department, 335-5421.
* Presidents Day 5K: The Allen Laws Oliver Chapter of the Missouri Society of the National Society Sons of the American Revolution will hold its Presidents Day 5-kilometer run Feb. 14 at the Red Star Baptist Church in Cape Girardeau. Registration is from 7:15 to 7:45 a.m., with the race scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Cost: $12 by Feb. 13, $15 on race day. Info: 576-6880.
* JAOSA registration: Spring registration for the Jackson Area Organized Soccer Association will take place at Nearly Perfect Shoes in Jackson. On Jan. 24, it will run from 9 a.m. to noon, from 6 to 8 p.m. on Jan. 28 and from 9 a.m. to noon Jan. 31 at Class Act Family Fitness Center. Players must be 4 years old on or before Dec. 31, 2008. There will be boys and girls divisions. The season begins Feb. 28, and more information is available online at www.jaosa.org.
* CAYSA registration: Spring registration for the Cape Area Youth Soccer Association will take place at Kick's Soccer Store in West Park Mall from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Parents also can print registration forms online at caysarecsoccer.org and return them to Kick's by Jan. 24. Cost: $20 for pre-kindergarten and $30 for first grade through eighth grade. There will be boys and girls divisions. The season begins March 7.
* Southeast clinics: The Southeast Missouri State softball program will host two winter clinics concentrating on pitching, hitting and catching at Houck Field House. They are designed for girls ages 8 through 18 and cost $60 per camp. The first clinic will be Jan. 24 and 25 from 1 to 4 p.m. The second clinic will be Feb. 7 and 8 from 1 to 4 p.m. Campers must bring their own workout gear. No cleats are permitted inside Houck Field House. Info: 986-6730 or 651-2993. Registration forms are available at gosoutheast.com.
* Snowman tournament: CATA will host the 13th annual Snowman tennis tournament Jan. 24 and 25 at the Class Act Family Fitness Center in Jackson. There will be men's open, A, 35, 55 singles, men's open, 35 doubles, women's open singles and mixed doubles. Cost: $20 for singles events, $15 per person for doubles. T-shirts and balls will be provided. Deadline: Wednesday. Info or to register: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Fundamentals clinic: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department and Southeast Missouri State University will hold a fundamentals of volleyball class Jan. 31 at the Osage Community Centre. It will run from 9 to 11 a.m., and is open to boys and girls ages 7 to 13. Cost: $12, which includes a T-shirt. Deadline: Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. Info: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Co-ed tournament: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will host the 12th annual Osage Invitational co-ed volleyball tournament Feb. 15. There will be an advanced and a recreation division. Teams will begin with divisional pool play with the top teams from each pool advancing to a single-elimination tournament. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three teams in each division. Check-in begins at 9 a.m., with play beginning at 9:30 a.m. at the Osage Community Centre. Cost: $60 per team. Deadline: Feb. 12 at noon. Info or to register: Amy Roth, 334-2859.
* Optimist league registration: Registration for the Jackson Boys Optimist Wrestling Little League will take place Jan. 28 and 29 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Jackson High School multipurpose gym. The league will run from Feb. 23 to March 25, with a tournament March 26 to 28. Wrestlers must be present to weigh in at registration. Cost: $40. Info: Matt Wendel, 204-1179.
Submit items by mail, fax or e-mail before noon each Wednesday to be included in the calendar.